AfricaCom awards : Orange rewards three winning companies
Yesterday, Orange rewarded the 3 winners of the Orange African Social Venture Prize. This prize, whose first edition was a resounding success in 2011, is designed to encourage the development of entrepreneurs and start-ups that use Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) to meet the needs of populations in Africa.
The call for projects, open from May through September 2012, received some 450 applications, reflecting the genuine entrepreneurial dynamic across the African continent. The proposed projects covered varied domains, such as health, agriculture, education, energy, industry and trade, illustrating the potential of telecoms in African development. The jury, made up of experts from Orange, the media and institutions promoting development, chose the 3 winners from 13 nominated projects, presented on the Orange portal in Africa, www.StarAfrica.com.
The prize ceremony took place yesterday in Cape Town (South Africa) during the AfricaCom Awards, an annual ceremony rewarding the most significant innovations and performance in the telecoms industry on the African continent.
the winning projects
- The first prize was awarded to the Côte d’Ivoire company, Vivus Limited, whose project aim is to use mobile technology to benefit vendors of farming, market gardening and fruit produce, so as to avoid losses due to a difficult adjustment to demand.
- Takacher, winner of the second prize, is a system designed to improve waste treatment launched in Kenya, enabling charcoal to be produced from organic waste.
- Winner of the third prize is Niokobok, a Senegalese distributor enabling the Senegalese diaspora to order “supplies” for their family online (23 reliable references for food, hygiene and cleaning products).
In addition to financial prizes of up to €25,000, Orange will accompany these 3 projects for 6 months, thanks to support from specialists who are part of its local subsidiaries, and the expertise of entrepreneurial and ICT professionals.
Visitors to the StarAfrica portal also voted in droves to choose their “Favorite“ project. Egyptian start-up “Innovative Electronic Employment Platform“ was the runaway winner with over 50,000 votes. This innovative recruitment service is based on an interactive platform, sending text message alerts to help people looking for freelance or part-time ad hoc assignments to supplement their income.
a long-term commitment to the continent
Orange is present in 20 countries in Africa and the Middle East, and has over 78 million customers. In order to contribute to the economic and social development of all these countries, the Group created the “Orange for Development” program based around 3 main areas:
- the development of networks to enable the largest number of people to access the benefits of the digital world
- innovation to meet the requirements of populations by value-added services in the essential domains of health, education, agriculture, and financial services
- lastly, the contribution to local development of ICT markets and innovation ecosystems.
European policyOrange at European Development Daysread more
philanthropyConstruye su futuro : déjà plus de 200.000 € récoltésread more
European policyhearing by the ITRE (European Parliament), Orange interventionread more
responsibilityOrange CSR finds new expressionread more
responsibilityOrange Poland: every day is CSR day!read more
philanthropydigital workshops to bring communities togetherread more