4G offers Orange customers optimal coverage and speeds of up to 150 Megabit/s (*), 10 times faster than current 3G speeds.
“Following its investments in Very High Speed fixed lines with Fibre, Orange is investing in the networks of tomorrow in order to keep France ahead of the pack. I am proud to say that Marseille, next year’s European capital of culture, will shine as the pilot for 4G technology. Lyon and Nantes will all enjoy Orange 4G by the end of the year, followed by 12 other cities by summer 2013. By investing in the technologies of tomorrow today, we offer our customers unprecedented services on the Orange network, which continues to offer the best in speed and coverage,” said Stéphane Richard, CEO of Orange.
Marseille: the 4G lab
Orange has opened a temporary one-day showroom in Marseille for its employees and Business customers, offering a range of demonstrations of different uses of 4G.
- 4G for HDTV: a new, more fluid way to experience HD TV on the go Orange is presenting a TV application for 4G compatible tablets (the Galaxy Tab 8.9’’ 4G, which will be provided to certain Orange 4G pilot testers) which provides access to a mosaic of live channels offering mobile HD content.
- The 4G Gaming Cloud to discover the latest generation of games on 4G compatible tablets. Thanks to 4G, the public will enjoy high-quality mobile access to the Gaming Cloud, with flexible speeds and significantly faster response times. These gaming applications are symbolic of the new possibilities offered by 4G. Players can use a single application to access a catalogue of games available in the cloud, including the latest releases, and can play or continue a game from any type of terminal.
HD quality streaming. HD quality videos from on dailymotion.fr will be accessible from a laptop computer with a wifi connection to a 4G Domino which provides all the speed of the Orange 4G network. These very high-quality videos will download and play more smoothly.
and business applications like the Cloud and 4G videoconferencing
- 4G offers the power it takes to meet the increasing demands of business customers’ mobile habits. When combined with the Forfait Informatique (IT Package), a cloud computing solution which offers access to a virtualised workstation, the 4G network brings users smooth and instant access to all of their applications no matter where they are, using 4G compatible equipment or a 4G key.
- The 4G network enriches Open Videopresence meetings with better HD image quality and even smoother real time discussions on the go.
- 4G’s contributions to video transmission will lead to the development of new corporate uses for video. With Mon Entreprise en Vidéo (My Company on Video), businesses can temporarily place 4G compatible cameras in strategic locations with no installation work required, run them from a distance and view the image feed on a tablet connected to the 4G network to monitor a construction project or a temporary site…
…last but not least, Orange will broadcast the Sosh Freestyle Cup live in 4G
Orange will broadcast the Sosh Freestyle Cup live in 4G. The Sosh Freestyle Cup, shot with professional grade cameras, will be broadcast in HD from Marseille’s Borely beach on Orange’s 4G network. The broadcast will demonstrate both the performance (continual flow of data at several Mbit/s) and the extent of its 4G network in Marseille, where it covers the entire city, including leading tourist destinations.
These demonstrations are made possible by Samsung, which supplied a Galaxy Tab 8.9" 4G tablet, Huawei, which provided an E392 4G key and an E589 4G Domino, and Aviwest , which provided the mainframe used to broadcast the Sosh Freestyle Cup in 4G
2,500 pilot testers will become the ambassadors of Orange 4G.
2,500 testers including Group employees and mass market and business customers will have the chance to discover 4G services in Marseille, Lyon and Nantes. They will gradually receive 4G equipment, making them the ambassadors of Orange 4G.
“We were thrilled to have the chance to be a part of the pre-launch pilot experience with Orange, which has been a faithful partner of OM for years. Thanks to our 4G tablets, we’ve been able to discover for ourselves what this new technology has to offer : exceptional speeds and response times, increased mobility and perfect coverage on our site. It promises a bright future and tremendous added value – especially with our new stadium, slated to open in 2014,” explains Cédric Dufoix, Secretary General of the Olympique de Marseille.
“As an expert, I wanted to test the limits of the 4G tablet by using business solutions and trying out downloading and live TV… I was dumbfounded by the quality offered by the 4G network, especially for videos, which start instantly with no stops and starts. And then for all our day to day exchanges, document transfer is immediate and the remote connection to my PC is very high quality. It’s even better than the high performance wifi in our offices!” says Hervé Talbot, Head of IS at the Olympique de Marseille.
With 4G, Orange offers its customers speeds up to 10 times faster than 3G
In late 2011, Orange obtained a combination of 4G frequencies (2.6 GHz and 800 MHz) which made it possible to offer customers optimal coverage and speeds of up to 150 Megabit/s (*) on compatible mobile terminals – a revolution for the mobile customer experience.
The first 4G commercial offers will be launched in the coming months.
In the meantime, Orange already offers Very High Speed Mobile Broadband with H+, the springboard towards 4G.
* Theoretical maximum speed, with a category 4 LTE terminal
press release 139 kB
France Telecom-Orange is one of the world’s leading telecommunications operators with sales of 45.3 billion euros for 2011 and has 170,000 employees worldwide at 30 September 2012, including 105,000 employees in France. Present in 33 countries, the Group has a total customer base of 227 million customers at 30 September 2012, including 169 million mobile customers and 15 million broadband internet (ADSL, fibre) customers worldwide. Orange is one of the main European operators for mobile and broadband internet services and, under the brand Orange Business Services, is one of the world leaders in providing telecommunication services to multinational companies.
With its industrial project, "conquests 2015", Orange is simultaneously addressing its employees, customers and shareholders, as well as the society in which the company operates, through a concrete set of action plans. These commitments are expressed through a new vision of human resources for employees; through the deployment of a network infrastructure upon which the Group will build its future growth; through the Group's ambition to offer a superior customer experience thanks in particular to improved quality of service; and through the acceleration of international development.
France Telecom (NYSE:FTE) is listed on NYSE Euronext Paris (compartment A) and on the New York Stock Exchange.
For more information (on the internet and on your mobile): www.orange.com, www.orange-business.com, www.orange-innovation.tv or to follow us on Twitter: @presseorange.
Orange and any other Orange product or service names included in this material are trade marks of Orange Brand Services Limited, Orange France or France Telecom.