Network modernization: a major challenge
Orange’s teams offer customers an enriched multi-screen experience. They are based on the quality of networks, in particular very high speed broadband, to support the development of uses and anticipate future expectations.
Therefore, the Group is developing the design of its networks to make them more flexible and automatically adaptable. Specifically, Orange is continuing to transform its networks to:
- The Cloud, and the virtualization of network functions with the objective of being able to make them programmable in real time and dynamically as traffic and needs develop.
- The provision of networks suitable for the Internet of Things.
The IP (Internet Protocol) standard makes it possible to offer customers services which are interoperable and convergent on fixed or mobile access, integrating voice and data, and open to third party developments (through API). For example, all IP high speed access makes it possible to offer HD TV and video on demand streaming services, with better quality of service over time.
Priority is given to countries offering fixed services, in which Orange has a historic presence: France, Poland, Spain, Jordan, Senegal, Ivory Coast, and Mauritius.
The countries where Orange is a mobile operator are also involved, but changes will then need to be made to the core of the network and to transmission.
- Spain has already been almost all IP since the end of 2015.
- From 2018, in France and in Poland, all fixed telephony sales will be IP (VoIP) and the Internet service will be constructed only on IP.
For countries in the MEA region:
- The aim is to achieve complete transformation between now and 2020.
- With the overall aim of 70% of voice service in VoIP and 95% of Internet service in BBoIP, across all markets, in the countries where the Group operates.
Virtualization of network functions.
Moreover, Orange is continuing the transformation of its networks. The virtualization of network functions aims to be able to make them programmable in real time and dynamically, based on the development of traffic and needs.