The deployment of very high speed mobile (4G and 4G+) and fixed (fiber) networks is speeding up:
The Group is making considerable investments in networks, adding up to over EUR 15 billion between 2015 and 2018. These efforts are bearing fruit: “In one year, we have doubled the number of our fiber customers, with 2.5 million customers, and the number of our 4G customers, with almost 23 million customers,” declared Stéphane Richard on June 30, 2016.
Great increase in very high speed mobile broadband with 4G and 4G+:
On June 30, 2016, 4G had a total of 22.7 million customers in the world (x 1.9 over a year with a comparable base):
- In Western Europe: the coverage rate of the population was
- 82% in France (where Orange remains in 1st place),
- 89% in Spain,
- 99% in Belgium.
- In Central European countries, the rate of 4G coverage of the population is:
- 95% in Poland,
- 74% in Romania,
- 71% in Slovakia,
- 95% in Moldova.
- In Africa and the Middle East, many countries are covered by 4G:
- As such, 4G has been launched commercially in Botswana, Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Jordan, Liberia, Morocco, Mauritius, Senegal, and Tunisia.
Deployment of 4G+ is continuing, in particular in France where 42% of 4G sites are equipped with 4G+, in Belgium where there is a coverage rate of almost 50%, and in Romania where 4G+ is already available in 15 towns.
There were already 2.5 million customers with fiber on June 30, 2016 (x 2.1 over one year).
- In France: Orange remains the leader with 5.9 million connectable homes (+ 872,000 homes over six months). Fiber adds up to 1.181 million customers, compared with 720,000 a year earlier (+64%).
- In Spain: fiber is growing very fast with +197,000 net sales during Q2 and 1.217 million customers (x 2.9 over a year) and makes up 31.8% of the high speed broadband customer base.
- In Poland: fiber represents a total of 1.0 million connectable homes (+41% over six months).