Mobile payment and money transfer in Africa. This service was extended to France in 2016. It enables our customers to send money to Africa via their mobiles.
Orange Money is an electronic money account linked to an Orange mobile number.
It is a universal solution which is available on any mobile and also works when there is no data network. There is also an Orange Money application for smartphone owners.
Orange Money is key to economic and societal development.
- It makes trade easier. It improves access to remote territories, and financial inclusion.
- It promotes female entrepreneurship: this is highest in Sub-Saharan Africa where 27% of women create businesses (source: 2016 Global Entrepreneurship Monitor global report). International money transfer extends Orange Money benefits to the diasporas.
- Sub-Saharan Africa transfer between Ivory Coast, Mali, Senegal, Burkina Faso and Niger, through W-HA, an Orange Group company.
In 2016, Orange created 6 EMIs (Electronic Money Institution) in 6 countries (Ivory Coast Guinea, Mali, Senegal, Democratic Republic of Congo and the Burkina Faso). Orange will gain increased autonomy and agility from this status and will be able to launch new services.
Orange safeguards customers’ funds and guaranties bank compliance through the CECOM (Expertise Center for Orange Money Compliance based in Abidjan).
Key figures december 2017
- 32 millions Orange Money customers
- 10 million customers use it every month
- 160 000 points of sales
Orange Money was launched in Ivory Coast in 2008
Orange Money is present in 17 African and Middle-Eastern countries:
Botswana, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Egypt, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Mauritius Island, Liberia, Madagascar, Mali, Niger, Central African Republic, Democratic Republic of Congo, Senegal, Sierra Leone*, Tunisia.
* Under the brand name Airtel Money
Orange Money strategy
- Develop international destinations.
- Develop the partnership ecosystem (utilities, banks and distributors, etc.).
- Develop financial services: pico loan, savings.
- Make Orange Money a universal means of online payment thanks to Orange Money APIs.