01 August 2018

Digital technologies: for better or for worse!

Digital technologies are now a natural part of daily life. Generally, they make it easier. But sometimes, they mess it up! Online gaffes, user errors and increased isolation and loneliness… A benchmark study of digital uses conducted by Opinionway and Orange observed 5,000 digital users to see what they did online, and found some quite unexpected results.


Digital, a new risk in the workplace?

It’s official, digital is now a part of our professional life. As evidence, many of us admit that it has caused a few embarrassing moments! You may be one of the 69% of French people who have typed in their own name in a search engine to check exactly what information can be found out about them online.  

Even more of an issue, 10% of users say they’ve experienced an awkward moment at work following something being posted about them on social media. When will there be an app that stops us from posting compromising photos or videos that are incompatible with our professional personas?

Only 18% of us are willing to “friend” our managers on Facebook or Instagram. But how do the other 82% manage to decline the request without offending their boss? The survey doesn’t give us any clues…


Today’s blunders and tomorrow’s uses 

Our worst moments of loneliness can be linked to our online gaffes. More than one in four French people have already expressed their regrets for posting a comment of photo on social media. Even worse, 26% have already sent a text that talks about someone – not always in a complimentary way – to that same person by mistake.
Despite these setbacks, which we tell ourselves we’ll smile about one day, some users are ready to embrace all things digital. Digital die-hards are ready to sign up for more.

  • 23% of them are ready to use connected devices that would record or programme their dreams, or stimulate their creativity. 
  • 13% would join a “silent disco” where everyone dances to the sound of their individual headphones and their own beats.  
  • 12% would even implant a chip that would act as a contactless payment device, security badge, data storage and more…

Finally when it comes to usage, consumers aren’t only concerned about themselves. 48% of animal owners would be interested in tracking devices such as a digital camera for Rex or a GPS tracker fixed to Felix’s collar to follow him when he chases a squirrel…